“Cherish the Past, Adorn the Present,
Construct for the future” Clough Williams-Ellis
Portmeirion Italianate Village is just 8 miles from Cae’r Blaidd and we have no hesitation in recommending that our guests pay a visit . It is not our intention on this page to go into huge amounts of detail, since it is obviously well written about elsewhere.
For those readers who are not familiar with Portmeirion, just a few bits of information. It was the creation over a 50 year period of the architect Sir Clough Williams-Ellis (1883-1978). It was built on his own private peninsula on the coast of Snowdonia, where he wanted to show that the development of a naturally beautiful site need not lead to its defilement. His lifelong concern was with Architecture, Landscape Design, the Protection of Rural Wales and Conservation generally.
Portmeirion was built in two stages: from 1925 to 1939 the site was ‘pegged out’ and its most distinctive buildings were erected; from 1954-76 he filled in the details. The second phase features some notable classical and Palladian constructions which often contrast with the Arts and Crafts style of earlier buildings.
Several buildings were salvaged from demolition sites, giving rise to Clough’s description of the place as “a home for fallen buildings”. His last building, the tollgate, was built in his 93rd year.
Associated with ‘Fountain’, a guest cottage by the sea, Noël Coward wrote Blithe Spirit in 1941.
More recently, Portmeirion became famous for the filming of the 17 episodes of ‘The Prisoner’, starring Patrick McGoohan and broadcast in 1967 & 1968.
Home|Food & Drink|Outdoor Activities|Activity Photos|Tariff|Contact Us|Places to visit locally|Calendar of events|History of Cae’r Blaidd|Find Us|Accessibility Statement|Main Picture Gallery|Acknowledgements|Wildlife Photos|Sitemap